For the last 18 months, the ish development team have been hard at work on a major update to the website engine for onCourse. We are coming to an end of this work now and have some exciting announcements for all our onCourse customers who host their website under onCourse. In particular we have two major changes visible to your customers:
* A brand new search backend for searches within your site which will be faster and give the user results better tailored to what they are looking for. For example search text found in the course title will be higher up the list of results than the same text found buried in the body copy of the course description. And it will recognise phrases and words close to each other, partial words, synonyms and more. This is the sort of searching you come to expect from a search tool like Google. And now onCourse...
* New, cleaner html for all the websites. This will make it easier to change styling as well as ensuring that pages load quickly (css is now combined and compressed) and the site will work better on mobile phones, tablets, etc. We are also testing to ensure all sites work nicely in IE9 and new versions of Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
As part of this process, we have engaged a designer to rebuild all the html and css. This designer is working through all our onCourse customer sites right now, one at a time. What this means to you:
* if you don't have an onCourse website, then you can only watch from the sidelines :-)
* if you are happy with your site as it is, then do nothing and we'll let you know when your updated site will go live. There will be very minimal interruption to the online enrolments during this process.
* if you have wanted to make some small design changes to your site, please get in touch with us as soon as possible about your needs.
All of the above will be done at no additional cost for all our onCourse customers. If you want more significant design changes, that is possible too: let us know what you need and we'll discuss them.