Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to locate Server

Hi, I just upgraded to IshOncourse 4.1 both Server and Client for MaxOs and the client can no longer find the server. The iocdata file is showing and the server is showing that it was started and indicates: Preparing server for client connections and when I log into the client and go into advanced and requirest of ind server, I keep getting the error message 'Server was not found'. I followed the instructions and went into system preferences to ensure the correct IP address, and still cannot access/find the server. Can you please assist.

Cheers,
Kerry Croft

Comments

• Hi Kerry,

If the server is showing the text "Preparing server for client connections" it means it has not completed rebooting yet. When this text goes away, it will be ready to connect to.

Try giving it a few more minutes to complete the upgrade process and then try to connect.

Regards,
    Natalie
  • Hi Natalie, thank you for your response. I have done as you suggested and left the Ish onCourse server running now for approx 4 hours.....still with the same response: 'preparing service for client connections'.

Is it normal to take this long?

Cheers

Kerry.
  • No, it should only take a few minutes. Take a look at a file called onCourseServer.log in the same folder as the server. Down the end of it there will be some text that explains what the server is trying to do.

Are you running OSX 10.9? Which Java version is active on your server machine?
  • Hi running OSX 10.6.8 and have copied the log file below from yesterday:

04 Nov 2013 11:02:07,343 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer::173) - onCourse server (build 4.1) starting...
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:19,505 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer:logStartup:449) - Starting database service
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:20,275 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.db.DerbyAdapter::172) - succeeded in initialising the data file : /Users/laurie/Desktop/onCourse.iocdata/onCourse
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:28,922 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer:logStartup:449) - Starting internal services
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:31,819 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer:logStartup:449) - Performing data sanity check
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:32,023 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer:logStartup:449) - Running data upgrades
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:32,242 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.db.DataUpgradeService:upgradeData:140) - data population running...
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:56,446 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.db.DataUpgradeService:upgradeData:150) - applying the data upgrade patches...
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:56,472 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.db.DataUpgradeService:upgradeData:164) - setting new wed version preference...
    04 Nov 2013 11:02:56,474 WARN (ish.oncourse.server.AngelServer:logStartup:449) - Preparing server for client connections

Cheers,

Kerry
  • If you open your terminal application and type this:

java -version

What result do you get?
  • goggly gook to me??
    Connect-Server:~ java version
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: version
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: version
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
  • You are missing the "-" in the instruction I typed. You need to type exactly:

java -version
  • Sorry, this is the response using java -version
    Connect-Server:~ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_65"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-10M4609)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

• You could try installing Java 7 from http://java.com and see if that helps your situation. Other than that, it would be useful to see if the server runs on other machines and also checking that you don't have the OSX firewall enabled.
  • I should also mention that we offer a hosted onCourse solution at no extra cost on all our onCourse plans. So if you want to move management of onCourse to us (we'll look after all updates and backups), then we can host the server in our data centre. Let me know if you want to discuss this more.
  • Hi Ari,
    can you please provide me with some costings relating to you guys hosting? Cheers, Kerry
  • Hi Ari,
    can you please provide me with some costings relating to you guys hosting? Cheers, Kerry