Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8

Just wondering whether ish works on Windows 8 - seem to be having problems opening...

Comments

• Yeah me too!!! LOL Works beautifully on Windsow 7 - but the java.com thing... well it didn't seem to make a difference? Helllp!
  • We have tested on Windows 8 and found no issues with onCourse 4.0. As long as you have Java 7 installed you should be good to go.

Can you clarify what problems you are seeing? Is this with the server or the client? Do you get any errors? Anything in the system logs?
  • Hi Ari - sorry for the delay. It is the server it is saying 'The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution. I have checked my antivirus and firewall and still nothing. I have Java 7 installed.

Thank you
  • I am running Windows 7 and get this message all the time! I have to log out of Windows, then log back in for it to work again.
  • The symptoms you describe:

* onCourse Server 4.0
    * problem resolved by restarting/logging out

sound a lot like memory fragmentation. Windows handles fragmented memory very poorly, particularly 32 bit Windows. Although the title applies to Windows XP, the concepts are still the same: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/171205/java-maximum-memory-on-windows-xp

If this is your problem, then the application will run if it is the first thing you run after booting, but will have problems after you have launched and quit a number of other applications. This is also one of the reasons why Windows users are often advised rebooting will solve problems, where that is almost never a solution in the OSX/Unix/Linux world.

Some possible solutions for this problem:

1. Put more memory in your computer
    2. Run a 64 bit operating system, 64bit Java and the onCourse 64 bit service. Even without more memory these things will help.
    3. Run onCourse Server on another machine which runs some form of *nix. You can still run the client on your Windows workstation.
    4. Ask ish for one of our new SaaS (hosting onCourse) plans. We offer this for free with all our standard support plans now.

Ari
  • Thanks Ari - appreciate your prompt suggestions. :)
  • It worked - I downloaded 64 bit Java and onCourse 64 bit service.

One more question...how do I update a data file that I was using a while ago so version 4 can read it?
  • onCourse automatically updates its data file. You can only go one major release at a time. From 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc. But you can skip any point releases.