Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importing Custom Reports

I am having trouble importing a custom report I created in iReport...

I copied one of the standard onCourse reports, changed the details I wanted changed, saved it as a new file, but cannot import it into onCourse. If I try to do so, nothing happens - no error message, no success message; nothing.

Am I doing something horribly wrong?

Comments

• 1. Did you change the keycode?
    2. Did you increment the version number?
    3. Are there any errors in the logs?

They would be the first three things to explore.
  • I have changed both the keycode and the version number.

And I can't see any error messages in the logs...
  • Which version of onCourse are you running?

As an experiment, can you try saving an existing onCourse report, changing only the version number and nothing else, then reimporting it. That might help identify if there is some error in the report that is causing the problem.

Oh, and one more thing I just thought of. You need to have the Java JDK installed, not just the JRE. You can easily download that from java.com. Our report engine actually compiles the report and it needs the JDK to do that. I don't have at hand right this minute as to whether the server or the client requires the JDK, but I think it is the server.

If you are an ish customer, please don't hesitate to send your report to support@ish.com.au and we'll test and check it for you.
  • I downloaded the newest version of onCourse three weeks ago, so I'm assuming it's up to date?

I have now downloaded JDK, which appears to have helped immensely. I can now import reports into onCourse. Thank you!

The new problem is this: once I import the new invoice into the system, if I try to register a new student, I get a weird error message. Clearly something is wrong with the report, but my knowledge of xml is, to put it mildly limited, so I don't know what I've done wrong.

The message looks like this:

• Report: The report (ish.onCourse.invoiceReport) could not be compiled:Errors were encountered when compiling report expressions class file:
    1. Syntax error on token "may", ; expected
    value = You may pay by cash, credit card or bank transfer. //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <->
    2. Syntax error on token "cash", delete this token
    <-->
    3. Syntax error on token "card", ; expected
    <-->
    4. Syntax error, insert ";" to complete LocalVariableDeclarationStatement
    <-->
    5. Syntax error on token "credit", ; expected
    Cash and credit card payments should be made at The Japan Foundation office during office hours (Mon-Fri, 9.00am-12.30pm/1.30pm-5.00pm). //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <---->
    6. Syntax error on token "should", ; expected
    Cash and credit card payments should be made at The Japan Foundation office during office hours (Mon-Fri, 9.00am-12.30pm/1.30pm-5.00pm). //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <---->
    7. Syntax error on token "at", ; expected
    <>
    8. Syntax error on token "Foundation", ; expected
    <-------->
    9. Syntax error on token "office", ; expected
    <---->
    10. Syntax error on token "am", delete this token
    <>
    11. Syntax error on token "pm", delete this token
    <>
    12. Syntax error on token "pm", delete this token
    <>
    13. Syntax error on token "pm", delete this token
    <>
    14. Syntax error, insert ";" to complete Statement
    Bank transfers should be made to this account: //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <-->
    15. Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator ArrayInitializer" to complete ArrayInitializerAssignement
    <-->
    16. Syntax error on token "be", ; expected
    <>
    17. Syntax error on token "this", ; expected
    <-->
    18. Syntax error, insert ";" to complete Statement
    Bank: Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, Ltd. //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <------->
    19. Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator ArrayInitializer" to complete ArrayInitializerAssignement
    <------->
    20. Syntax error on token "Zealand", ; expected
    <----->
    21. Syntax error on token ".", ; expected
    ^
    22. Syntax error on token "Square", : expected
    Branch: Chifley Square //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <---->
    23. Syntax error on token ":", ( expected
    BSB: ??? //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    ^
    24. Syntax error on token "Account", ? expected
    Account Name: Japan Cultural Centre (The Japan Foundation) //$JR_EXPR_ID=29$
    <----->
  • During the Quick Enrol process the system tries to print an invoice. You can disable this feature on the last page of the Quick Enrol. The problem is that your report has a defect (well several by the looks of things). You may wish to revert to the original report and make small incremental changes until you understand the problem. You might also be able to use the iReport tool to validate your report. Rather than going through the whole Quick Enrol, you can print invoices from the invoice list view to reproduce your problem.

Jasper Reports is very powerful, but also quite complex. Beyond these steps you might like to get professional report writing help or sign up to our support plan. Although report writing is not included at no cost in our lowest cost plans, you might just need a small nudge to get you in the right direction.
  • Thanks Ari.

I think it might be time to pack it in and find a professional... :-)
  • An update on this thread. In the upcoming onCourse 4.1, the JDK will no longer be required to import reports. You can have just the JRE on both the client and server.

For other people following along, if these acronyms are confusing the summary is: just install the default Java you get from www.java.com and everything will work fine even for customising reports.